God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

"Before the Throne of God Above"

I was introduced to this song about five years ago and was so impressed with the depth of meaning in the words. Let it soak into you this week.

"Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea;
A great High Priest whose name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in heav'n He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

"When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

"Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless Righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of Glory and of Grace.
One with Himself, I cannot die;
My soul is purchased with His blood.
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God."

Charitie L. Bancroft, 1863

5 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

I don't believe I have ever heard this song before, Violet, but I wish I had. Thank you for posting the lyrics...it was exactly what I needed to read this morning. Blessings to you, dear friend.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

I love this song also, Patricia. It has ministered to me so many times and helped me to keep my focus on the One Who stands in my stead rather than my own sin and circumstances.

I'm praying for you especially as you get to the bottom of all your health problems. Keep looking to Him.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Violet,
Melinda gave me a CD for Christmas with that song on it...it is one of my favorites. Hope all is well in your family. Love, Diane M

7:22 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

What CD is that, Diane? We've been singing it to the tunes of "Sweet Hour of Prayer" and "He Leadeth Me" at Trinity, but I know there is a more contemporary tune as well.

Our family keeps on keeping on. It was good to see you at the Spring Bible Conference again. I've been relistening to the messages and getting reblessed all over again! God's Word is so rich. Actually, I'm still soaking in Psalm 119 from last year. It would be great if we could get Professor Felix for family camp sometime, wouldn't it?

Have a good weekend.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Violet,
It is a CD by Chris Rice ...his singing isn't the best but I love the song and Melinda and I always push 'repeat' on this song at least twice! Here is a site you can go to and listen to a snippit of the song:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/?item_no=cd42860&p=1006648#curr
I have been listening the Jerry Bridges family camp series again...I am so thankful for the chance to hear these men over and over again...and it is one of the 'blessings' of driving so far to church...time to listen!
I hope we see you again before family camp :) Love, Diane

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home