God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Friday, March 21, 2008

The Gift

Yesterday I received a book in the mail that looks to be a real treasure. It is called "Golden Hours: Heart-Hymns of the Christian Life." It contains a collection of poems by Elizabeth Prentiss (author of "More Love to Thee"), written during some of the most difficult years of her life. It was out of print for over a hundred years until 2001 when it was republished by Solid Ground Christian Books. Already I have been blessed in just reading the first few entries. I will share one with you that especially spoke to me.


The Gift

I asked of Thee a gift, Jesus, my Lord,
And my expectant eyes looked up, to see
That blessing speedily from Thy dear Hand
Come down to me

I waited, but it came not; asked again,
And thought to see it come in angel-guise,
And when it lingered, found no words to tell
My sad surprise.

Dear Savior, have I asked amiss, I cried,
What was there lacking in my earnest prayer
Did it seek heaven upon too weak a faith
To enter there?

Full long I pondered, hoping that the gift
For which I earnestly my Lord besought,
Would, if attained, fill my whole soul with love,
And holy thought.

But as He still denied it, did not choose
To give it me, I cast and threw my will
Down at His feet, and bid it there to lie,
Patient and still.

Should not the Hand so bountiful to me,
Reserve the right to choose for me my good,
Should I not glory in His ways, if they
Were understood?

Thus musing, to my closet yet once more
I stole, if only lovingly to say,
Do what Thou wilt, dear Lord, for Thy "sweet will,"
Is mine, alway.

When lo, within that closet, waiting me,
I found the risen Christ, and oh what grace,
What love, what beauty and what tenderness,
Shone in His face!

And thus He spake, That was but seeming good,
Thy childish ignorance so boldly craved,
Withholding it My love protected thee,
From danger saved.

But I have come instead; yes, here am I,
Thy longed-for Savior; lean upon my breast,
Thy disappointment shall give place to joy,
To peace and rest!"

Ah Lord! Too sacred was that wondrous hour!
The veil that hides it let no mortal lift;
Great was the grace I sought, but oh how small
Beside Thy gift!

3 Comments:

Blogger Iris Godfrey said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Check out my post on "need" and see a common thread.
Blessings!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Leigh Ann said...

I love Elizabeth Prentiss's work. I read "Stepping Heavenward" every few years and have a couple of her other books (Aunt Jane's Hero is great too). I was amazed when I read her biography, More Love to Thee, to see what an accomplished woman she was education wise.
Thanks for sharing. I hope you are your family are well.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Violet,

What a lovely poem. Thank you so much for sharing. You are such an encouragement to me.

Love,
Michelle

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home