God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

That I may know Him

In my desire to know God, I often get tangled up in trying to "figure Him out" in the process. In my continued reading through Charnock (working on "omnipresence" still) I found some great excerpts that help keep me pursuing HIM rather than merely a cerebral understanding of Him (which is impossible anyway!).

"God sits above the cherubims (Ezek. 10:1), above the fulness, above the brightness, not only of a human, but a created understanding. Nothing is more present than God, yet nothing more hid; he is light, and yet obscurity; his perfections are visible, yet unsearchable; we know there is an infinite God, but it surpasseth the compass of our minds;...How can we then comprehend God, who exceeds all, and is exceeded by none; contains all, and is contained by none; is above our understanding, as well as above our sense? as considered in himself infinite; as considered in comparison with our understandings, incomprehensible...God is greater, and we cannot know him...He is known by faith, enjoyed by love, but comprehended by no mind...

"How should we never think of God without a holy admiration of his greatness, and a deep sense of our own littleness! and as the angels cover their faces before him, with what awe should creeping worms come into his sight! and since God fills heaven and earth with his presence, we should fill heaven and earth with his glory; for this end he created angels to praise him in heaven, and men to worship him on earth, that the places he fills with his presence may be filled with his praise: we should be swallowed up in admiration of the immensity of God, as men are at the first sight of the sea, when they behold a mass of waters, without beholding the bounds and immense depth of it."

10 Comments:

Blogger Leigh Ann said...

Hey, you're spoiling the surprise for me ;-). I've started with his "The Existence of God", and it is so very deep. I know that I don't grasp it all, and probably won't. Of course, writers like this were meant to be read over and over and over again. But even though I know I am not getting it all, there is so much to think about and meditate on.
Thank you so much for the advice.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

You're in for it now, Leigh Ann! And don't be concerned that I am spoiling any of the surprise. As you have noticed, the book isn't exactly a pocket edition (not to mention the older English). But I can guarantee, that even if you get through just a fraction of its pages, your life will never be the same. Read at your own risk!

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Violet, This sounds like a wonderful project for my quiet time. I'm going to look for this - Thank you for the recommendation. I take this kind of rousing vote FROM YOU! as high praise, indeed.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Dawn, as I've told Leigh Ann, a couple pages a day from the "Existence and Attributes of God" along with my Bible reading/studying has me on my face before Him more than in my chair! And to think that this is only a taste of the real thing. I can't wait to see Him face to face!!!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truth be told, I am not a very cerebral person, anyway! I would HAVE to read it over and over. :)

I really liked your quote from Elisabeth Elliott a few days ago.

A blessed Christmas to you and your family!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

Thanks Holly for the Christmas greeting. The picture of your family over on your blog is so special (sanctifiers and all!).

Thank you so much for the blessing you have been in my life these past months. God bless you and yours in the year to come.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Patricia said...

Violet, you are such an inspiration! Thank you! And I pray that you are having a most blessed Christmas. Love ~ Patricia

5:53 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Thanks, Patricia. I don't need to ask what you're doing to celebrate this year! Your two grandsons are just too cute!!! Have a wonderful Christmas.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you have been a blessing to my life! So glad we "met!"

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Violet, What a way to begin your day - on your face before your Lord! Perfect practice for being with Him face to face.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home