God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

God Moves in a Mysterious Way

The day after Thanksgiving, Samuel and I went over to the coast for a two day "retreat" - just the two of us. It was so wonderful. We talked and talked, covering many topics, and came home refreshed and renewed. We still had questions in some areas, however, and were almost overwhelmed when on Sunday, each of the services (Sunday School, morning worship, and evening service) addressed and clarified what we had talked about. Isa. 42:16 was accomplished right before our eyes in a way that we could never have come up with on our own. "I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight." I was reminded of the song, "God Moves in a Mysterious Way" and encouraged to go forward KNOWING that I need never fret again (remind me of that tomorrow, ok?).

"God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm.

"Deep in unfathomable mines of never-failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs, and works His sovereign will.

"Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take; the clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy, and shall break in blessings on your head.

"Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, but trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face.

"His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste, but sweet will be the flow'r.

"Blind unbelief is sure to err, and scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter, and He will make it plain."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story to hear how God confirmed and comforted you and your husband. It is a wonderful truth and comfort knowing that we serve a loving God! Thank you for sharing your story, I have been enjoying your blog!

In Christ,
Melinda

5:28 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Thanks, Melinda, for the encouraging word. Actually what jump-started our wonderful weekend was Will's message on Thanksgiving morning. I found that I needed to go home and change some of my "clothes"! I am so thankful for the spiritual family the Lord has given us at Trinity and Hillcrest.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Leigh Ann said...

I love that song. It is such an encouragement in the dark of life. Glad you and your husband had a nice retreat. Those are such a blessing. Markus and I ran away to IHOP one night last week since his family was all there. Hey, it was 11 p.m., but it was time alone to refocus and remotivate ourselves. But I am like you, I always tell Markus after some great refreshment and I am raring to go, to remind me of these feelings and purposes a few days down the road. I lose the drive so fast.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Violet, may God continue to bless you and Samuel with refreshing times of new insight and clarity. Thank you for continuing to blog posts that reflect longing for God. The older I get, the more I realize that God wants me to long for him even more than he wants me to work for him. I heard that as a teenager but it didn't really sink in until much later, and I confess it still hasn't fully sunk in in action. Thanks for posting truth about this on your blog.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Wayne, you probably don't remember this, but it was years ago when you visited us in Milwaukie that you told me God hadn't created me a human doing, but a human being. That admonition coupled with "Be still and know that I am God" have helped me so much through the years. The more I know Him, the hungrier I get!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home