God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Col. 1:11

"Col. 1:11 - 'Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness.' Sometimes nothing helps us more than to read and re-read some great word of our God's. We can renew our strength by reading it not just in one version, but in many. Each yields some new emphasis, some fresh light. Col. 1:11 is a fathomless word. Ponder these different translations.

"Moffatt: 'May His glorious might nerve you with full power to endure and to be patient cheerfully, whatever comes.'

"Weymouth: 'Since His power is so glorious, may you be strengthened with strength of every kind, and be prepared for cheerfully enduring all things with patience and longsuffering.'

"Way: 'I ask Him that with all His strength you may be strengthened, even to the measure of the might of His divine majesty, till you attain to all-enduring patience and forbearance, which exults under suffering.'

"The devil will see to it that there is something to try the spirit today. He always sharpens his fiery darts. But he can do nothing against this shield." Whispers of His Power by Amy Carmichael, pp. 155, 156.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How soothing it is to visit your blog, my friend!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Thanks, Dawn. As you see, most of what I post is what others have written that has blessed me. This blog has been the perfect place to share the gems, and be reminded again myself of His grace.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home