God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Lord is good

We spent the weekend on the Oregon coast. It was rather hazy most of the time, but still refreshingly beautiful as we soaked in God's glorious handiwork. He gives us moment-by- moment reminders that He is, indeed, so good. This morning's Daily Light spoke to that theme as well.

The LORD is good, a strong hold in the

day of trouble; and he knoweth
them that trust in him.

P RAISE the LORD of hosts: for the LORD is good; for his mercy endureth for ever.--God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.--I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.--Who is like unto thee, O people saved by the LORD, the shield of thy help, and who is the sword of thy excellency!--As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

If any man love God, the same is known of him.--The foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.--The LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.--Thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.

NAHUM 1. 7. Je. 33. 11.--Ps. 46. 1.--
Ps. 91. 2.--De. 33. 29.--2 Sa. 22. 31, 32.
1 Co. 8. 3.--2 Ti. 2. 19.--Ps. 1. 6.--
Ex. 33. 17.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Violet,
I came across this today and thought of you. It is the 'story' behind the song "Before the Throne of God" ...as song I have only recently come to know but has become one of my favorite.Praise God! Diane M
Story:

Charitie was born at Bloomfield, County Dublin, the fourth child of Rev George Sidney and Charlotte Lees. The Rev George Smith was the minister of Colebrooke church, in the Church of Ireland parish of Aghalurcher from 1838-1867 and during this period the family including Charitie lived in Ardunshin House near Brookeborough, County Fermanagh, Ireland. In 1860 one of Charitie's first compositions O for the robes of whiteness appeared in leaflet form in the immediate aftermath of the Irish 1859 revival. In 1863 she wrote perhaps her best known hymn Before the Throne of God Above which she entitled The Advocate (a hymn which was revived in evangelical circles in the late Twentieth Century). In 1867 Charitie's father took the family to Tattyreagh, Omagh, County Tyrone, when he became the rector of St Columba's Church Charitie continued with her compositions eventually publishing them in a volume entitled Within the Veil in 1867.

In 1869 a Liverpudlian Arthur Bancroft married Charitie in Edinburgh, Scotland. Records of her married life are scarce but it seems she was widowed twice. She died in Oakland, California, USA aged 82 bearing the name de Cheney.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bible Verses

Isaiah 25:4 - You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat. For the breath of the ruthless is like a storm driving against a wall and like the heat of the desert.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. you might enjoy this site:
http://www.popularhymns.com/pop100.php

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home