God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Monday, January 07, 2008

"Let this mind be in you..."

It's hard to believe we are a week into the new year already. Kalen got his body cast removed last week and spent a few days in the hospital for rehab. He still isn't allowed to do any walking, but will go back in a couple weeks for more rehab. He is very thankful to be able to sit up again and have some "freedom". I was just reading a sermon by Thomas Manton on Psalm 119:68 - "Thou art good, and doest good: teach me thy statutes." How good God has been to us, especially through these past difficult weeks. I am encouraged to gaze in wonder and thankfulness at His goodness to- ward me, especially in times of affliction.

Yesterday at both Sunday School and church, I was almost overwhelmed with the hymns that were chosen. I want to post them all to my blog, but will give you only one per day so you can savor them along with me.

Our theme song for Sunday School in this new quarter is "May the Mind of Christ, my Savior".
That is my prayer for this new year.

"May the mind of Christ, my Savior,
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and pow'r controlling
All I do and say.

"May the Word of God dwell richly
In my heart from hour to hour,
So that all may see I triumph,
Only through His pow'r.

"May the peace of God, my Father,
Rule my life in everything,
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing.

"May the love of Jesus fill me,
As the waters fill the sea;
Him exalting, self abasing,
This is victory.

"May I run the race before me,
Strong and brave to face the foe,
Looking only unto Jesus
As I onward go.

"May His beauty rest upon me
As I seek the lost to win,
And may they forget the channel,
Seeing only Him."

- Kate B. Wilkinson

2 Comments:

Blogger Leigh Ann said...

I love that hymn. It is an excellent one for the new year.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

That hymn has been a favorite of mine since Bible school days (a looooooong time ago!). It was also our theme song at my candidate school before going to Hong Kong.

I got the Carson books boxed up today. Hope to make it to the post office in the next couple days and get them sent to you. Enjoy!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home