God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

God is Good

I'm still continuing my slow sojourn through Psalm 119, along with Thomas Manton's sermons on that Psalm. Two verses have particularly stood out to me, especially in light of the events of the past couple of months. Verse 68 says: "Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes." Verse 71: "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes." As I have focused more on the goodness of God through all of His providences in my life, I have been so encouraged to exult in Him and what He is doing, rather than grumble about my present discomforts.

Here are some quotes from Manton that I really appreciated.

"We must not consider what things are in themselves, but what they are in their reduction, tendency, and final use...We lose the benefit of our afflictions by our murmuring, repinings, faintings, carnal sorrows and fears: an impatient, distrustful mind spoileth the working of God...Murmuring is a disorder in the affections, misinterpreting in the understanding. Consider you must not interpret the covenant by God's providence, but God's providence by his covenant...There is sometimes a seeming contradiction between his promises and his providences, word and works...Go into the sanctuary and God will help you to reconcile things (Psalm 73:16, 17): otherwise, the difficulty will be too hard for you...We cannot trace him, nor find out the reason of everything which God doth; only in the general, that 'he hath done all things well' (Mark 7:17); nay, what is best....We must distinguish between a part of God's work and the end of it...God knoweth what he is a-doing with you, when you know not...When we view providences by pieces, we know not God's mind...therefore let us not judge of God's work by the beginnings, till all work together. Our present state may be very sad and uncomfortable; and yet God is designing the choicest mercies to us."

I love that last phrase, "God is designing the choicest mercies to us." Let that thought energize your day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Iris Godfrey said...

Hi Violet,

Just want to say hello and that I enjoy your blog. This is an excellent post. I think I will share the data with an Institute Bible class I am teaching -- really good thoughts.

Bless you,
Iris

7:42 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Thanks for dropping in, Iris. As you have probably noticed, most of what I post is not original with me. I just like to share the encouragement God sends my way from His Word and others who love Him. You're very welcome to enjoy right along with me.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home