God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Honoring God as holy

I was reading in Numbers 20 today where Moses struck the rock instead of speaking to it. This act resulted in his not being allowed to enter the Promised Land. I have always looked at this in terms of disobedience alone, but D.A. Carson points out that it went deeper than that. "God does not say, 'Because you did not obey me enough...' but 'Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy...' There is, of course, formal disobedience: God said to speak, and Moses struck the rock. But God perceives that the problem is deeper yet. The people have worn Moses down, and Moses responds in kind. His response is not only the striking of the rock, it is the answer of a man who under pressure has become bitter and pretentious...What has evaporated is transparent trust in God: God is not being honored as holy."

I see this as one of my biggest problems - lack of trust. There is the disobedience too, but under- neath is the lack of trust from whence the disobedience springs. Prov. 3:5, 6 needs to be my constant companion and reminder!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Violet, I'm enjoying catching up on the scriptures and insights you have posted. It is so good to read the words that have spoken to others.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home