God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Psalm 94:19

Last year, I picked up a used copy (3 vol.) of Twenty-Six Translations of the Bible. Actually it prints out the Bible, verse by verse, in the KJV, and then draws from 26 other translations to amplify each verse. I will give you a taste of it by quoting a verse that has been a special blessing to me, Psa. 94:19 – “In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.”

“In the multitude of the sorrows that I had in my heart, thy comforts have refreshed my soul.” (Psalms in the Book of Common Prayer)

“In the multitude of my inward perplexities, Thy consolations shall delight my soul.” (from the original Hebrew – Spurrell)

“When doubts crowd into my mind, thy comforts cheer me.” (Moffatt)

“In the multitude of distractions within me, Thy comforts delight my soul.” (DeWitt)

“In the multitude of my cares within me Thy consolations delight my soul.” (Rotherham)

“When the cares of my heart are many, thy consolations cheer my soul.” (RSV)

“Amid all the thronging cares that fill my heart, my soul finds comfort in thy consolation.” (Knox)

“When my mind is burdened with worry, Your comforting encourages me.” (Harrison)

I guess this leaves me without excuse for any complaining, doesn’t it? How wonderful to be able to turn to His consolations and be truly comforted and delighted!

9 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

What I think is so awesome is that God uses every "thing" we want to complain about to teach us that He is all we need. And not only is He all we need, but He is immeasurably, infinitely more wonderful than any "thing" else that we could ever want. Thank you, dear friend! Love ~ Patricia

9:36 AM  
Blogger Patricia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

I have been reading in Stephen Charnock's book about God's immutability. Here is part of what makes Him so awesome: "God is an immovable rock; we are floating and uncertain creatures; while he seems to approach to us, he doth really make us to approach to him; he comes not to us by any change of place himself, but draws us to him by a change of mind, will, and affections in us." I'm so thankful it isn't left up to me. I can't even come to Him on my own without His first drawing me - changing my "mind, will, and affections".

11:14 AM  
Blogger Leigh Ann said...

I love that Charnock quote. I think I remember Hubby reading that to me before. It is so amazing. It's like the words of the hymn, "I sought the Lord, and afterward I knew, He moved my soul to seek Him, seeking me. It was not I that found, O Savior true;
No, I was found of Thee."
How overwhelming!!!!!!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Leigh Ann,that's one of my favorite hymns, too! It's truly amazing, isn't it, that He should condescend to such worms as we are. And yet He does, even when we so often turn away, as you mentioned on your post on Psalm 81.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to read the scriptures like this, Violet. It really rounds it out and fleshes it out so you almost CAN'T miss the meaning that is trying to be conveyed.

How is your daughter?

4:37 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Holly, my daughter is doing better this week - still quite weak, but definitely improving. She went back to school on Monday (after missing a week), and has been slowly trying to make up missed work. She will have further medical testing the week of the 16th. Thanks for asking and praying.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Violet.

My husband's brother was HEALED of Crohn's. Rod (the brother) has been a severe diabetic since the age of 15. (He's now in his 40s.) He struggled with so many dietary issues...and about 13 years ago was diagnosed with Crohn's. He dealt with that for such a long time...and I know that doctors will tell you it can't really be "healed,"...he definitely was. He has been symptom free for about 6 or 7 years now. He didn't even make dietary changes...or take any new medicine. God just healed him.

I'll continue to pray for your daughter!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

Thank you so much, Holly, for your continued prayers and the great encouragement of Rod's healing! It is such a comfort to me to know beyond any doubt that God's ways are perfect. I just read Num. 11:23 - "And the LORD said to [Violet], 'Is the LORD'S power limited? Now you shall see whether My word will come true for you or not.'" We have a great God.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home