God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Doing vs. Being

I have always been a very performance-driven, people-pleasing sort of person. Being able to "do" offers great security - it's tangible, seeable, laudable. It also leads to the besetting sin that dogs my walk the most - pride! I found a quote from Oswald Chambers that challenged me in this area and helped refocus my thinking on Christ (and who I am in Him) rather than what I can do for Him.

"Jesus Christ calls service what we are to Him, not what we do for Him...Our Lord's first obedience was to the will of His Father, not to the needs of men; the saving of men was the natural outcome of His obedience to the Father...The secret of a disciple's life is devotion to Jesus Christ, and the characteristic of the life is its unobtrusiveness. It is like a corn of wheat, which falls into the ground and dies, but presently it will spring up and alter the whole landscape (John 12:24)."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lot of beautiful quotes you have here, Violet. Your place is a beautiful reflection of a woman seeking after God.

I enjoyed reading and contemplating, letting it soak in. :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the quotes, Holly. They have been a real encouragement to me, and I am thankful that others can get in on them, as well. I have intended for a long time to organize them better (they are written in various and sundry places, some more "organized" than others), and with the advent of blogging I am left without excuse to begin putting them together.

I am enjoying your blog also, and your quiet, thoughtful insights. God bless you as you minister in your sphere of influence.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home