God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

God hears

I've been thinking a lot about prayer, lately, and how much I focus on God's "answers". I have been told that God always answers prayer, although His answer may be different from what I was anticipating. If His answer is "Yes", I am grateful and happy. If it is "No", I can't help feeling disappointed and sometimes quite unhappy. If it is "Wait", then I settle in with my martyr's complex, and prepare to stoically await whatever is coming. I know, I know - not too spiritual, huh?

As I have continued to go slowly through Psalm 119, I have been so encouraged and thrilled in watching the Psalmist pray over and over for the Lord to quicken him, incline his heart, teach, strengthen, etc. The best part is NOT when he sees "answers" to his prayer, but when he realizes that God heard him. Psalm 119:26 - "I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes."

Then this morning I read the following verses from Hebrews 5:7, 8. "In the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and WAS HEARD in that he feared; though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; and being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." The very Son of God found His strength in being heard by His Father - not by having His prayer answered according to His desire. And that's how He learned obedience.

This gives me a whole new focus in prayer. Just knowing that I have been heard is enough, when I know the One who heard is the One who loves me with an everlasting love, and has wisdom and power to accomplish His perfect purpose in my life. That changes everything!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home