God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Observations

I've been reading in Joshua this week and have been reminded of some very helpful, practical applications for my own personal life. Here are some observations I jotted down for chapters 6-8.

Chapter 6 - Jericho taken. The conquest of Jericho was entirely of God. He gave them everything, but they still needed to follow His instructions. They didn't just sit back and do nothing. Joshua relayed God's specific instructions to the people and they did excactly what He commanded.

6:12, 15; 8:10 - Both Joshua and the people "rose early" to be about God's business for the day. Their entire day, every day, was spent carrying out His instructions to them in every detail. I need to rise early, get my instructions from the Word, and then spend my entire day with my focus on carrying them out to the finest detail.

6:18 - I need to recognize that all I have is given to me by God, and should never claim or covet anything as my own exclusive right or possession.

Chapter 7 - After the conquest of Jericho, there is no record here of Joshua asking for God's direction for the next step. It sounds like Joshua took the initiative and then listened to the spies' advice without consulting God. When they were defeated at Ai, Joshua's immediate response of wishing they had never crossed the Jordan even with God's direction and presence, surprised me. And yet, how often have I gone ahead on my own initiative, failed, and then complained to God about it! I need to "Rise up!" (7:10) and take care of the sin that has come between God and me.

Chapter 8 - contrast the taking of Ai this time to the first attack:
1) God initiates the order
2) God gives very specific orders on the strategy for taking it
3) God promises to deliver it into their hands
4) Joshua commands them to do "according to the word of the LORD," not according to the word of the spies
5) Victory resulted as they followed God's Word
6)The end result was worship and obedience rather than wishing they had never crossed the Jordan

8:34, 35 - A constant reading of all the words of Scripture and obedience to them should be of highest priority to everyone - young, old, male, female, stranger, family.

How thankful I am that God had these events recorded for my "admonition" and growth (I Cor. 10:11). Have a great day joining me in the dig for new treasures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home