God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Prayer

I've been thinking a lot about prayer lately. The following are some quotes that I wrote down last year just before we learned of Kalen's brain stem compression. Little did I know then how the Lord was preparing my heart for the days ahead.

"Think about the last thing you prayed about - were you devoted to your desire or to God? The point of asking is that you may get to know God better...Keep praying in order to get a perfect understanding of God Himself." - Oswald Chambers

"When we pray we must urge God with His promises." - E. Calumy

"Be content to leave your prayer in His hands, Who knows when to give and how to give and what to give and what to withhold." - Spurgeon

"No direct action on your part will change another person. You can pray that God will change him, and you can let God change you (you may be the one who needs it more!)" - Elisabeth Elliot

"He [God] reveals things in order that we may take the burden of these souls before Him and form the mind of Christ about them, and so we intercede on His line...to get His view about the people for whom we pray." - Oswald Chambers

It changes everything for me when I come to the Father to know Him better and get His perspective on things. His Word becomes my prayer book, especially the Psalms. They cover every facet of life so eloquently. And the ultimate comfort is knowing that both Christ and the Holy Spirit are making intercession for me in perfect accordance with the Father's will. "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Violet,
Those words about prayer and leaving our petitions with the One Who knows what is best were an encouragement to me.
On Thursday I fly out of Philadelphia for Buenos Aires, and need the Lord's presence with me.
Love,
Carolb

1:27 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Carol,

I'm glad you were encouraged. I'll be praying for your trip to Buenos Aires.

Ps. 37 has become almost my theme Psalm in regards to prayer and all aspects of life. Note the verbs: fret not, trust, do good, delight, commit, rest, wait patiently, fret not! The first and last ones are my constant challenge.

Have a good trip.

Violet

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home