God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Office of Trust"

In my reading schedule through the Bible, I have been in the first 10 chapters of I Chronicles the past few days. I must admit, it has not been the most exciting. But today in chapter 10, I was so encouraged by the seemingly trivial duties in the temple being given the title "an office of trust" (v. 26). These included the gatekeepers, guards, and those in charge of the utensils, furniture, flour, wine, oil, frankincense, mixing of spices, and things which were baked in pans (vs. 28-31).
Some of those sounded rather familiar to me!

Several other phrases that caught my eye were: "work of the service", "keepers of...", "the LORD was with him", "chosen to be", "had charge of", "were appointed over", "had the responsibility over".

How sobering to consider that whatever "office" the Lord calls me to, from His perspective it is an "office of trust." Verse 33 implies they gave themselves diligently to their work, day and night. They didn't let themselves become distracted with other "callings" that might have had more outward appeal, but applied themselves wholeheartedly to what God had chosen for them. The best part of all for them and for me was that "the LORD was with [them]" as they did their particular work of service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home