God, my Exceeding Joy

"Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Psalm 43:4

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I met my husband while I was a missionary in Hong Kong. He had swum out of China after the Cultural Revolution. We have been married 32 years and have four children (2 biological and 2 adopted), ages 22-30. My mother also lives with us (she just turned 90). I am truly a blessed woman.

Friday, January 08, 2010

Pride and Unbelief

I read a quote by J.C. Ryle yesterday that addressed the two sins that plague me most in life - pride and unbelief. Of course, I have a much more refined way of speaking of such things when they concern myself rather than others. But I must admit, Ryle has found me out big time!

"Pride in our own difference from others, pride in our reputation as Christians, pride in our spiritual attainments. Unbelief about our own sinfulness, unbelief about God's wisdom, unbelief about God's mercy. Oh, they are heavy burdens, and sorely do they keep us back, and few really know they are carrying them, and few indeed are those who will not discover them at the very bottom of the chamber of their hearts, waiting an opportunity to come out."

When I'm tempted to despair over ever getting things right, He gently reminds me that as long as I depend on my own strength, I never will. But He calls me to run to Him in total dependence and recognition of who He is and what He has done in spite of who I am and what I have done.

"Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in steadfast love. He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities under foot. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea." Mic. 7:18, 19

"He has blessed us in the Beloved.—In order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him." Eph. 1:6; Col. 1:22


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home